Extension in Due Dates of GST Returns
Written by Ashutosh Poddar Dt. July 13th, 2021
43rd GST Council Meeting held on 28th May 2021. Although the council meeting is required to meet once every quarter, the 43rd Council meeting has happened nearly after six months. Finance Minister chaired the GST Council Meeting from New Delhi via video conferencing. It was attended by MOS Anurag Thakur along with Finance Ministers of States and UTs and Sr. Officers from Union Government and States. Several recommendations have been made in the meeting, however, the same was notified by 12 notifications on 01st June 2021. In the council meeting, proposals have been made regarding changes in Interest rates and Late fees & several extensions to Tax payers as a relief measure.
Information has been presented in the form of a table for easier understanding of the user of the table below: –
|Return||Tax Period||Original due date||As per last Extension||As per this extension|
|GSTR 1||Month of April 21||11th May 21||26th May||–|
|Month of May 21||11th June 21||–||26th June 21|
|IFF||Month of May 21||13th June 21||–||28th June 21|
|GSTR 4||FY 20-21||30th Apr 21||31st May 21||31st July 21|
|GSTR 5 & 5A||Month of Mar 21||20th Apr 21||31st May 21||30th June 21|
|Month of Apr 21||20th May 21||31st May 21||30th June 21|
|Month of May 21||20th June 21||–||30th June 21|
|GSTR 6||Month of Apr 21||13th May 21||31st May 21||30th June 21|
|Month of May 21||13th June 21||–||30th June 21|
|GSTR 7 & 8||Month of Apr 21||10th May 21||31st May 21||30th June 21|
|Month of May 21||10th June 21||–||30th June 21|
|ITC 04||Quarter ending Mar 21||25th Apr 21||31st May 21||30th June 21|
Interest and Late Fee Notifications
1. For PMT-06 (for taxpayers opted for QRMP) and CMP 08 (Composite taxpayers) –
|Return||For the Period||Original Date||To be filed by||Benefit|
|PMT 06||Apr 21||25th May 21||9th June 21||No interest|
|10th June – 9th July||Interest @9%||May 21||25th June 21||10th June 21||No interest|
|11th June – 25th July||Interest @9%|
|CMP 08||Quarter ending Mar 21||18th Apr 21||3rd May 21||No interest|
|4th May to 17th June||Interest @9% + No late fees till 17th July 21|
2. For GSTR 3B filers –
|Criteria||Period||Original Date||If filed by||Benefit Available|
|T.O. up to Rs. 5cr||Month of Mar 21||20.04.21||05th May 21||No Interest to be charged|
|6th May to 19th June||Interest @9% + No late fees to be charged till 19th June 21||Month of Apr 21||20.05.21||04th June||No Interest to be charged|
|5th Jun to 4th July||Interest @9% + No late fees to be charged till 4th July 21||Month of May 21||20.06.21||05th July||No Interest to be charged|
|06th July to 20th July||Interest @9% + No late fees to be charged till 20th July 21|
|T.O. up to Rs. 5cr||Month of May 21||20.06.21||05th July 21||Interest @9% + No late fees to be charged till 05th July 21|
|Quarterly Filers in Category A states/ UTs||Quarter ending Mar 21||22.04.21||07th May 21||No interest to be charged|
|8th May to 21st June||Interest @9% + No late fees till 21th July 21|
|Quarterly Filers in Category B states/ UTs||Quarter ending Mar 21||24.04.21||09th May 2021||No Interest to be charged|
|10th May to 23rd June||Interest @9% + No late fees till 20th July 21|
- Allowing cumulative application under Rule 36(4)for availing ITC for tax periods April, May and June 2021 in the return for the period June, 2021.
- Allowing filing of returns by companies using Electronic Verification Code (EVC), instead of Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) till 08.2021.
- Time limit for completion of various actions, by any authority or by any person, under the GST Act, which falls during the period from 15th April 2021 to 29th June 2021, to be extended up to 30th June, 2021, subject to some exceptions.
- Taxpayers are allowed to self-certify their reconciliation statement under FORM GSTR-9C for FY 20-21.
- Reconciliation statement in FORM GSTR-9C for the FY 2020-21 is required to be filed by taxpayers with annual aggregate turnover above Rs 5 Crore only.
- Filing of annual return in FORM GSTR-9/ 9A for FY 2020-21 is optional for taxpayers having aggregate annual turnover up to Rs 2 Crore.
- GST Council recommended amendments in certain provisions of the Act to make the present system of filing GSTR-1 GSTR-3Bas the default return filing system in GST.